The Ostseebad Binz in the Course of Time
The village Binz was first mentioned in 1318 as Fischerdorf Byntze for the first time. Binz owes the prosperity from the sleepy village to the most visited seaside resort on the island of Rügen to Putbus. Around 1830 his guests bathed at the mouth of the Ahlbeck. Because of the lack of waves in Lauterbach, the prince on the beach of the Prorer Wiek had built bridges. In the reed huts and bathing bats his guests were able to undress and were drawn into the water in the bathing carts of horses.
The customer of the attractive seaside resort in the north attracts guests from non-aristocratic circles to Binz. In Dorfkrug there are bathing guests from 1860 and in 1870 Binz already has 80 bath guests per year.
In 1884 Binz officially became a bathing resort and in 1886 1,000 guests could be counted.
The first Kurhaus was built in 1890 and the beach promenade was built five years later. In the same year the railway line Putbus - Binz will also be built. In 1902 a 560 meter long wooden bridge was built. The international audience is entering the former fishing village. At this time, however, the guests do not yet enjoy the beach pleasures. On the beach was separated between ladies' and men's bath and the first dressing rooms made of wood.
In the New Year's Night 1904/1905 the pier is destroyed by a huge storm flood. In the same year it is rebuilt and gets the name Prinz-Heinrich-Brücke. In 1906, the Kurhaus was destroyed by a fire and rebuilt in 1908. On July 28, 1912, a catastrophe occurred at the pier. During the mooring of a steamer, a wooden cross beam broke and tore about 50 people into the water, 17 people lost their lives. This event was the occasion for the founding of the Deutsche Lebens-Rettungsgesellschaft (DLRG) in Leipzig in 1913. After the First World War, the guests were mainly doctors, lawyers, officers and civil servants.
From about 1925, the open-air swimming pools and the bathing establishments are demolished until 1932. The post office building in Zeppelinstraße (now the "Altes Postamt" apartment building) is put into operation in 1928.
In 1936 work began on the KdF seaside resort of Prora (KdF). For further information, please visit: http://www.museum-prora.de. In 1938, the station building Binz was built and a year later Binz received a major railway station connection
The sea bridge was destroyed by ice in 1942 and not rebuilt. During World War II, most of the houses were used as hospitals and for the accommodation of civilians who had to flee from bomb attacks. After the war, refugees and resettlers find hotels, guesthouses and villas in Binz. In 1953, most hotel and pension owners were expropriated or expelled by the "Action Rose". The houses are used as rental apartments and holiday homes. In 1956, the Free German Trade Union Confederation (FDGB) adopted the first holiday home ("Seeschloss"). In the seventies further holiday homes for the FDGB are being built. Binz becomes the "Arbeiterseebad".
With the political turnaround in 1990 major changes took place in Binz. Many villas are transferred back to the previous owners. The houses are being renovated, reconstructed or rebuilt and used again as hotels, guest houses or apartment houses. The former holiday homes of the FDGB are also privatized, completely modernized, with a great deal of emphasis placed on a structural adaptation to the houses of the bath architecture. The streets and citizens' pavements are being extensively repaired.
After over 50 years without a pier, the new 370 m long See Bridge was opened in Binz in May 1994. In the first years of the new millennium the guest house will be opened, the spa park will be redesigned and the "Park of the Senses" at the Schmachter See will be inaugurated. Today, Binz is the largest seaside resort on the island of Rügen. With 1,872 sunshine hours a year it attracts many tourists to visit the wide, fine beach.